top of page

Everything you need to know about the D7 visa, known as visa for “retirees”

Updated: Mar 21, 2020

The D7 Visa is a residence visa that allows its holder to enter Portuguese territory and, once inside, it is possible to apply for a residence permit. The D7 visa is known as a visa for “retirees”, but it can, in fact, be granted to anyone who has his/her own regular income, such as movable or immovable assets, intellectual property or financial applications.


There are several requirements for obtaining a D7 Visa, such as the applicant's statement specifying the reason for applying for a visa, international travel medical insurance, criminal record, among others. However, one of the main requirements for the successful application is the proof that the applicant has the minimum income provided for in Portuguese Law, which allows his/her residence in Portugal for a period of not less than 12 months. The minimum income may differ according to the number of people making up the applicant's household.

See below how to calculate and identify the minimum income required, in a simple way.

The first adult (applicant): 100% of the current minimum wage (635 €) = 7,620 € / year; Second adult: 50% of the current minimum wage (317,50 €) = 3,810 € / year; and for each child and youth, such as children under the age of 18, and adult dependent on the applicant: 30% of the current minimum wage (190,50 €) = 2,286 € / year.

Recently, Portuguese consulates are demanding proof of bank deposit in an account in Portugal, for the total subsistence amount corresponding to one year. In addition, for those who do not want or do not have time to go to Portugal just to perform this act, there are banks that allow the opening of an account online or even by proxy.

It is also important to highlight the need for proof of housing in Portugal, which can be demonstrated in some ways: Term of Responsibility; or lease contract or deed of the property in the name of the applicant.

Proof of possession of means of subsistence may also be provided by means of a Term of Responsibility, signed by a national citizen or a qualified foreign citizen, with a residence document in Portugal. The Term of Responsibility is different from the invitation letter and should be done according to the template if it is on the page:


Yes, family members holding a D7 visa may apply for a residence permit on the basis of family reunification. Reunification applies to the family nucleus, which generally consists of the spouse, minor children and relatives in the ascending line. After family reunification, the dependents of the D7 Visa holder may study, work and undertake in Portugal.


The D7 Visa can be an excellent option for those who seek to "acquire" the Portuguese nationality, once the foreigners who have lived legally in Portugal for at least five years and have also fulfilled the necessary requirements according to the Portuguese Nationality Law, will be able to apply for the nationality. Becoming a Portuguese citizen!

Author: Ingls Aguiar

Immigration lawyer in Brazil & Portugal

Legal Consultant in New York.

194 views0 comments


bottom of page